Ex-Green Beret Jake Zimmerman’s Georgia mountain seclusion is shattered when the one woman he should never have left, pregnant Kiera McNeill, shows up on his doorstep. Her life is in danger, thanks to a botched Morpheus Squad mission. If the nature of her baby is discovered, evil forces will stop at nothing to capture Kiera. When Kiera learns of Jake’s top-secret Morpheus Virus running through his veins, she realizes that her protector is the deadlier threat.
Kiera knows the secrets of Fallen Comrades, a billion-dollar “charity” which siphons donations away from wounded veterans and into the pockets of power-hungry CFO Beau Lequire. Now her sadistic ex-boss, Lequire, wants revenge. Her only chance of escape rests in the lethal hands of the man who once rejected her: Jake. All she needs to do is suppress her feelings for Jake long enough to destroy Fallen Comrades, stay alive, and save her baby.
Review by Twinsie Angie
I won this audiobook.
I have been watching this book for a couple years. The first time I saw it was when it was a preorder. Then last year I saw it but there wasn’t an audio. This year I won an audio copy from the author at a book event. I was sooooo excited. I mean the blurb was totally ME!!
I downloaded it and jumped in. The story is about Jake and Kiera. They have a history to put it mildly. He must save her since she found out some bad things about some bad guys. We meet Jake’s military team who are all infected with the virus that makes them kinda “hulk” out in a way. LOL I mean they don’t turn green but they get BIG MAD. LOL
The audio for the book was good. It wasn’t the best, but it was far from the worst. The narrator did a fine job reading the story but a couple times when she was “Jake” the voice was Kiera and vice versa. Nothing terrible and it didn’t affect my enjoyment of the story.
Now the story. I understand this is the first book in a series, so I give it time to explain people, situations, etc. However, I felt like this book was REALLY slow to develop with a lot of repeating information from different POV’s in the same scenes. SO that did become a bit tedious for me, but I did stick it out and continue to read.
Jake has so many issues he needs to pull a city bus behind him. The man was infuriating with his push and pull to Kiera. I was like DUUUUUDE. But Kiera was too soft hearted to me. I was like GIRL!!! They have history with having dated in high school, being her brother’s best friend, and then a little oppps that created the “little bit” in her belly.
I did enjoy the story but it was very slow to go and I felt like it stayed pretty slow going. There were a few days I set the book down and walked away for a day or two. The love story has intense scenes that were great when Kiera and Jake weren’t fighting.
The concept was interesting, and it did make me push through to continue the story.
To hear about deals, freebies, and new releases from Jillian, click FOLLOW on BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/jilli…
Award-winning and bestselling author Jillian David quickly writes then slowly edits paranormal, suspense and adventure romances. She loves to use medical situations and characters to drive drama in her books. Her favorite cell is the platelet and her least-favorite organ is the pancreas. She fully believes that curse words, when appropriately deployed during surgery, are hemostatic. Which also explains why no book of hers will ever bleed out…
According to multiple starred reviews, Jillian’s books cause sleep deprivation and a drop in productivity, as well as visceral responses from her vivid descriptions — side effects which might qualify as a breach of her Hippocratic Oath to ‘do no harm.’
Here’s what readers are saying:
– “You will not want to start this book right before bed like I did because you won’t want to go to sleep.”
– “…a highly original, paranormal, second chance, romantic suspense novel on steroids, and it kept me turning pages until dawn, and it gets 5 bleary-eyed stars from this reader.”
– “I started this incredible paranormal suspense filled love story and couldn’t put it down. I stayed up the entire night reading it.”
– “Such an awesome read. As soon as I started it, I couldn’t put it down. I even stayed home from the gym just to be able to finish this in the same day.”
– “(T)his author sure knows how to write torture scenes and make you feel the physical abuse the characters are going through!”
– “(T)his (writer) can make you twist around in your seat in an effort to not pee yourself from fear.”
– “Jillian writes incredibly interesting characters in situations that keep you reading late into the night, even if you have to work the next morning.”
– “Just read the 4-book story (The Cowboys of Copper River series) to the end, started yesterday afternoon! Couldn’t put it down, except for 3 hours when I fell asleep early this morning.”
HELL TO PAY (paranormal romance)
1) Immortal Flame
2) Relentless Flame
3) Flame Unleashed
4) Flame’s Dawn
HELL’S VALLEY (paranormal western romance)
1) Legacy of Lies
2) Legacy Lost
3) Legacy of Danger
4) Legacy Found
PROJECT MORPHEUS (military romantic suspense)
1) Fallen Comrade
2) Hidden Comrade
3) Silent Comrade
Want a FREE BOOK? Sign up for Jillian’s newsletter here: https://www.jilliandavid.net/contactn…
Find out more about Jillian and where to follow her on social media here: https://linktr.ee/JillianDavid